We're an affiliate We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page (at no extra cost to you). Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Looking for a new fence for your lawn and the backyard? Trying to put things together to get the fencing work started may get quite challenging especially when there are too many variants and types of materials to choose from. It is therefore important to know in detail the various fencing material types, their pros, and their cons.
Let’s find out some of the deciding factors on how these fencing materials are to be chosen in detail.
Fencing Materials – The Determining Factors
The goods and the bads of these materials are however determined on various factors which are as follows:
Type of Material Used
The fencing materials are made out of various materials such as vinyl, wood, aluminum, wrought iron, steel, and chain-link. Every material has its own set of pros as well as cons and hence the type of material used to manufacture the fencing is one of the key factors to decide on the fence you would install.
This is an important factor to determine the type of fence and the material to choose from. The cost of the fence and the cost of installation is the most important factor for anyone to decide on whether the fencing has to be done or not.
Durability & Longevity
The materials from which the fencing is made ensure that after being installed it is durable and long-living. For instance, fencing materials made up of steel, aluminum, etc will be more durable than others.
The Look & Feel
Along with functional aspects, the aesthetic aspect and appearance of the fence is also a deciding factor. Many prefer fencing that not only solves the basic purpose of securing the perimeter but also adds to the beauty and enhances the look and feel of the premises.
Ease of Installation
This is another aspect that should be considered while selecting fencing. If it is too clumsy and difficult to be done, it can be quite discouraging. You would certainly not want to invest in something that takes too many days to install and the process of installation is not too easy as well.
They say that achieving something big is not difficult, maintaining the big thing is what is difficult. And the same is true for maintaining a fence. The fence should be easy to clean and maintain and should be free from rust and corrosion.
Based on the above factors and others that we may discover later on we have put together the pros and cons of all types of fencing materials that are used in making the fences. Let’s dive in.
1. Wood Fence
Wood fencing is, in fact, the traditional favorite and goes well with almost any type of premises. This is, in fact, one of the most commonly used fencing used since times immemorial and in modern days too.
Wood has been the material of choice for all the best qualities it is known for. Using Wood as a material for your fence has its own pros and cons as listed below.
- Wood is suitable and is perfect for almost any landscape. You would be able to easily find various styles and types of wood. You can paint it with your favorite shade and it will do just fine with every color choosen.
- Wood is one of the most affordable materials that you can use for fencing. Since the raw materials are easy to procure and work with the costs are also well within your budget. It costs somewhere between $1500 to $3500 for normal variants of fencing material made of wood.
- When properly painted and installed, wood fencing can last a lifetime. They are durable and keep the premises safe and free from trespassers.
- Fencing made up of wood can be styled and painted the way you want that enhances the beauty of your entire landscape.
- Wood is easy to work with and install in all kinds of premises. They can also be maintained easily as they are easy to clean.
- Wood may not stand the test of harsh and wet weather and may break and wear out if not maintained properly.
- Some variants like the cedar and redwood are very expensive.
- Wood fencing is prone to bugs, insects, termites, and critters and might require insecticide use for treatment.
- Wood fences need regular painting and varnishing for its proper maintenance.
- Wood can easily catch fire and hence extra care needs to be taken when there are inflammable objects or fuel sources in and around the wood fences.
2. Composite Fence
This fencing material is increasingly getting popular nowadays. It is made up of plastic and wood fiber, 95 percent of which is recycled. The manufacturing process involves a waste-free mechanism and the resultant material is an ideal material that can be used for various applications including fencing.
Let’s list the pros and cons of the composite fence material
- The composite material is similar to wood and can be used as a cheap replacement for wood and is ideal for all fencing types.
- The fences made from composite materials are durable, strong and last very long.
- The composite fencing materials are weather, wind, insect, and rot-resistant that adds to their lifespan.
- You would not need to paint the composite fences since they are already made of synthetic colors from the outside.
- These fences are easy to install, clean and maintain in the long run.
- The composite material is vulnerable to fading and get stains and scratches too easily.
- The cost is extremely high and costs double than that of a standard wood lumber fencing that is pressure treated.
- The composite material is non-porous and hence they cannot be painted
Composite fencing as such is good replacement of the wooden fence with the drawback that it is costlier than wood. Wood is more preferred than the composite materials obviously because of the cost, but the composite materials are gaining popularity for the ease of use and maintenance in the long run.
3. Vinyl Fence
Vinyl fencing uses the PVC as the raw material and is one of the most versatile fencing materials. The vinyl fencing costs are not subject to the ups and downs of the market and are also available in abundance and hence are preferred by customers far and wide.
Apart from that there are proven benefits of using vinyl fencing as raw materials. Let’s look at the pros and cons of Vinyl as a fencing material in detail
- PVC is a manufactured material and is easily available and is available in abundance.
- They are cost-effective as the PVC manufacturing costs are not dependent on fluctuating wood costs. However, their costs range between $2000 to $5000 but are usually a one-time investment. You can find some cheaper alternatives on Amazon here
- The PVC fencing uses aluminum and hence it is durable and resistant to bugs, insects, rot, weather or any damage due to moisture.
- Aesthetically as well the PVC fencing looks great. The shiny PVC enhances the backgrounds and bring your living spaces to life.
- The PVC fencing is easy to install and maintain. They can be easily cleaned with water.
- Not so strong as compared to wood or other materials as such it can collapse easily with any direct impact.
- Vinyl is not heat and fire-resistant and may get damaged when subjected to high temperatures and fire.
- The Vinyl fencing colors may fade away over time due to prolonged exposure to external weather conditions.
- Not a good option for places with extremely hot summers or cold temperatures.
- Since it involves the use of plastic, it is not an environment-friendly option.
PVC is being increasingly used in fencing materials in recent times due to its easy availability and installation. They usually come together in pieces that can be snapped together and hence you do not need an expert to set it up for you.
4. Aluminum Fence
Using aluminum fencing is the most stylish option of fencing. This is one of the most preferred options of fencing and is nowadays gaining a lot of popularity.
Many people are resorting to getting aluminum fencing for their premises owing to the many advantages of using aluminum. Let’s look at the pros and cons of using aluminum fencing in detail.
- Aluminum is one of the most versatile and easily available fencing options that is used and is available in many styles and variants based on your needs.
- The cost is around the same range as that of vinyl fencings but is far better in terms of functionality and strength.
- The aluminum fencings are extremely strong and durable and are resistant to weather, dust, wear and tear, fire, corrosion, etc.
- They are perfect to keep your premises safe and secure as they make it difficult for men or stray animals to enter into the property.
- Since aluminum is lightweight, they are extremely easy to install. The cleaning and maintenance are also like a breeze. Another plus point is that aluminum is extremely easy to repair as well.
- Though aluminum is durable, it will bend if there is a strong impact or contact. Hence a vehicle crashing into your fence can damage the fence completely
- It may not be able to stand a hurricane or a storm and bends when a storm hits.
- Prone to marks, bends and scratches and even the slightest impact can lead to marks on the surface.
- Some higher grade aluminum may get expensive to procure and install.
Though there are some disadvantages of using this lightweight metal in making the fences, it still is a favorite among many homeowners wanting to install a fence.
5. Steel Fence
Steel is definitely the best fencing material that you can get. It is, in fact, the most used and preferred fencing material owing to its enormous strength, durability and other benefits it offers.
It does have some disadvantages as well. Let us look into the pros and cons of steel fencing in detail.
- Steel is the strongest of all fencing types and is an extremely durable and long-lasting fence type. You just install it once and it would go on to last a lifetime.
- Steel gates are used in securing areas that need to be protected with the highest levels of security.
- Steel fencing can be used in all types of terrain, undulated sloped surfaces or plain lands; they are perfect for every need.
- When it comes to cost, steel fencing will relatively cost you more but it is definitely going to be worth the cost in the long run.
- Steel fencing is weather-resistant, bug and insect resistant, heat and fire-resistant and hence are ideal for use in every weather region.
- The steel fencings are not only strong and sturdy but they look quite stylish and sleek as compared to their other counterparts.
- They are easy to clean and maintain and can be wiped with clothes or running water as with other fencing types as well.
- Very heavy and hence transportation and storage are difficult.
- The steel fence may not stand moisture especially if they are installed near the ocean which has salt content in the water.
- Steel fencing procurement and installation are more expensive than other fencing materials and types.
- A steel fence requires regular maintenance that involves a great deal of painting and sanding.
Steel fencing is certainly the strongest option but due to its huge installation and maintenance costs, the other fencing types are more popular with homeowners. Having said that steel has not lost its relevance the least bit in areas where ensuring a high level of security is a must.
6. Chain Link Fence
This fencing type has become quite popular in recent times. This fence is not made from any bars or solid metals but is forged out of chain links of metals that are bound together to form a net and a mesh-like structure.
This chain-link fencing is extremely popular with homeowners in the suburban areas. Let’s look at the pros and cons of chain-link fencing.
- The chain link is one of the high-end ways of fencing your landscape at extremely affordable costs that range between $1000 to $3000.
- The fencing allows visibility from both sides which is awesome for your kids and pets that lets them remain on the premises while they can still enjoy the views outside.
- They are made from either steel or some other metal and hence they are extremely durable and last for a long time.
- When it comes to their looks, they look pretty cool and add a pristine and exquisite look to your premises.
- They are excellent for climber plants and creepers that you may want to grow in your lawns as they can easily find support in the fencing.
- The chain link fencing material comes in rolls and hence can be easily transported and stored and subsequently are easy to install.
- They need absolutely no maintenance and can last for ages unless you wish to replace them or want to change the color.
- It can be easily covered with cheap privacy screen you can find on Amazon.
- They are a huge risk to your privacy as anyone can peep into your premises from outside.
- They provide absolutely no security to your premises unless you use barbed wiring; they can be easily cut with pliers or sharp knives.
- The chain links can have sharp edges if cut and can lead to injuries if touched so one has to be careful with these wires.
Though there are disadvantages to this type of fencing, since it is the most inexpensive option, you will see this kind of fencing in most premises.
7. Wrought Iron Fence
Wrought Iron is another strong and durable option that is commonly used in creating unique and decorative designs. This is another fencing option that is preferred by many who want to secure their premises and wish to keep the premises safe.
Let’s look at the pros and cons of wrought iron fencing now:
- Wrought iron is one of the strongest materials used in fencing and is extremely durable and strong.
- Wrought iron fencing is weather-resistant, fire and heat resistant and can last for years together.
- This fencing is expensive to install but is highly cost-effective in the long run.
- They can be molded in various shapes and designs and hence add to the beauty and looks of your landscapes.
- Wrought iron fencing can be extremely difficult to install and is even more difficult to maintain and may need frequent sanding and painting.
- They are an expensive option for painting due to all the high costs of transportation, storage, and installation.
- They are prone to rust if exposed to prolonged wet weather or snowfall.
Though wrought iron is an expensive option, you will find these types of fencing in many places for all the strength and security they provide.
In conclusion, it is fair enough to say that though choosing the right fencing material for your fence is a difficult task when you consider all the factors you will certainly be able to choose the best one from the lot based on your needs and requirements.
Make use of the pros and cons and details of all fencing types in this article to get your ideal fencing today.
Learn more about best outdoor furniture in my post here