If you’re in the market for a floor rug it is important that you remember this: all rugs are not created equal. You may have considered buying one made of natural fibers but are disappointed by the color pallet they offer. Or maybe you need something that will repel moisture but are worried about the quality of the look? A polypropylene rug could be a great fit for your needs.
Are Polypropylene Rugs Safe for My Floors?
Yes, polypropylene rugs are safe for your floors. They are very durable, low maintenance and soft to walk on. With water, sta in and UV resistancy, Thea are perfect for your pets and heaving them outdoors. For Hardwood floors, vinyl and bamboo its advisable to use rug pad underneath.
There are a lot of benefits using polypropylene rug. Learn why are they one of the hottest accessorie trends on the market.
What Is Polypropylene?
Polypropylene is a thermoplastic polymer in the family of plastics. This polymer is one of the most widely used across the world for plastic applications. It is highly likely you already have polypropylene products in your house without even knowing it. Polypropylene is used in fabrics for sportswear, food packaging, sunglasses, backpacks and totes, diapers, and so many other things. Polypropylene is also sometimes called olefin.
What Kind of Floor is Best with a Polypropylene Rug?
When it comes down to what types of floor surfaces are best for polypropylene rugs, the best flooring surface is ceramic tile because the surface of ceramic tile is immune to rubbing and friction.
Polypropylene rugs are also very popular to use on basement floors. Basements are commonly known to be the more humid or damp part of the house and are sometimes prone to a little flooding.
TIP: You can spruce up your basement area with a beautiful rug and not worry that you are throwing your money away.
If you have floors that are hardwood, vinyl, or bamboo you can still be happy with a polypropylene rug. Just be sure to purchase a rug pad. Rug pads will provide protection to your floors from the friction that naturally occurs over time.
What Kind of Rug Pad Should You Buy?
For hardwood, bamboo, or vinyl floors you want to stay away from rug pads that have a lattice pattern. We recommend the following two different rug pads:
RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushioning Rug Pad – This rug pad will give your polypropylene rugs a cushy and luxurious feel beneath your feet. Atvthe same time, it will provide protection to your hardwood, bamboo, or vinyl floors but isn’t intended to prevent slipping.
This rug pad should be used for rugs that are either in low traffic areas of your house, or in an area of the house that has large furniture placed on top of it to hold it into place such as your dining room, or living room.
Mohawk Ultra Premium 100% Recycled Felt Rug Pad – This rug pad will provide protection to your floors and against slipping. It is a great choice for those high traffic areas such as hallways. While not quite as thick as our first recommendation, it is available in 1/4″ and 1/2″ thicknesses.
What Does a Polypropylene Rug Feel Like?
You may be thinking that a rug made from plastic synthetic fibers doesn’t sound like it would feel very good. When in fact, polypropylene rugs do not feel like plastic at all. They are much softer compared to natural wool rugs and perfect option for those who like walking bear foot inside. If you want to add extra layer of softness and luxurious cushy feel, add one of our highly-recommended rug pads.
Are Polypropylene Rugs Expensive?
Because polypropylene rugs are synthetic fibers they can be machine woven. The key words of that sentence are “woven by machine”, and “synthetic fibers”. These are key because they correlate directly to the affordability of a polypropylene rug. Plastics are commonly used in society precisely because of their low production costs.
Polypropylene rugs are definitely more affordable than rugs made of natural fibers such as sisal or wool, and are usually more affordable than other synthetic rugs made of nylon or polyester as well. They can still look luxurious without luxurious price tag on them.
What Are the Benefits of a Polypropylene Rugs?
There are many benefits to a polypropylene rug. Let’s name them few:
- First and most obvious is financial aspect. Polypropylene rugs are generally inexpensive.
- Polypropylene rugs are known for being water resistant. This means, that they serve as excellent rugs for even outdoor spaces. The synthetic fibers are moisture repellent, so even if your patio is uncovered, that doesn’t have to stop you from having a beautiful rug show piece. You won’t have to worry about mold and mildew, which makes these rugs a top choice for patios.
- They require low maintenance. Regularly vacuuming or shaking it out is all that is needed to clean it up. The synthetic fibers are woven so tightly that it doesn’t allow for spaces to hold dirt or dust. This is a big win for whoever in your home is responsible for cleaning the floors.
- Brightly colored polypropylene rugs won’t fade because the rug’s fibers are UV resistant. Even if the sun shines on that rug every day through your living room window, the colors will stay true. This is because the fibers are not dyed. Instead, the color is added to the solution of the fiber before it is even made. Once the fibers have been made it can’t absorb liquids which leads us to the next benefit of this type of rug.
- They are also stain resistant. For pet owners, they are a great choice, particularly if your pet is prone to accidents on your floors due to age or infirmity. Don’t be afraid to have red wine when you socialize with friends in your home, because it won’t absorb the staining color of bright liquids due to its nature to repel liquids and its tight weave. If your pet does have an accident on the rug, or you spill a little red wine, just a quick and easy spot cleaning with a bit of dish soap and water should do the trick.
Can Polypropylene Rugs enchance your home?
Polypropylene rugs can enhance your home in many ways. A large rug in your living room, a trendy rug in your bedroom, a bright and bold rug on your patio, and a funky style down in the basement.
This are all examples of opportunities to showcase your style right at home. A rug can be a show piece, an accent, a practicality, or all three. With polypropylene rugs the diversity of choice is affordable.
Are Polypropylene Rugs Durable?
Polypropylene rugs are considered durable because of their many beneficial attributes such as water, stain and UV resistancy.
The fiber itself isn’t quite as durable as others, but manufacturers realized this and compensate by weaving it in a Berber (looped) style. If durability is a major concern for you, shop for one that has shorter loops.
A polypropylene rug will typically last you three to five years. This is to your benefit, because you can choose to change the style design of any room in your house and not be tied down to sticking with a “timeless” look because you can’t afford to buy a new rug every time a trend catches your fancy. Be bold, be trendy, and be free to change your style when you want.
Read my Related blog posts