For your latest home improvement project you’ve decided to go ahead and install some vinyl flooring. Having the right tools will always make a DIY job go more smoothly. If you have a miter saw you might be wondering if it could be the right tool for this job.
We all know miter saw is great for cutting crown molding, but can you use it to cut vinyl flooring?
Can you cut vinyl flooring with a miter saw?
A miter saw is a great tool for cutting vinyl flooring. You can slice the pieces of flooring quite easily. It gives a clean and flawless finish due to straight edges, unlike some other saws. It also can easily cut at an angle, which is probably its most well-known feature.
When it comes to cutting the laminate flooring using a miter saw, you need to be careful to protect the material as well as your body. Using a miter saw is simple – you just need to make accurate cut marks. The miter saw will practically take care of the rest.
This tool can easily make a 90-degree cut. It is an easy tool in the sense that you don’t have to change the settings a lot. It is possible to use either a non-sliding model or a sliding model, but a sliding model like this one from DeWalt will keep the blades sharper longer.
Can you use Mitre saw on the floor?
A miter saw can be used on the floor, but it’s not the greatest idea. It’ll be less efficient than a mounted miter saw, especially if you are cutting a longer board that requires support during cutting. It won’t cause damage to the saw, it might just be difficult to get the cleanest cut if the piece you’re cutting isn’t properly supported.
Just make sure to place it on a solid, dry floor that will not be easily damaged by the vibrations of the saw. And wear some knee pads!
Tip: You can always build your own simple miter saw stand with a couple of saw horses and a piece of plywood.
What is the best way to cut vinyl plank flooring?
While you can use a miter saw for cross-cuts, if you need to cut lengthwise, a jigsaw is a good choice. Check to make sure your jigsaw blade’s teeth are facing away from you since you’ll be pushing your jigsaw away from you. This means the blades have to be cutting in the opposite direction.
You can also use a circular saw. Circular saws have problems with kickback, however, when working with thinner materials. Circular saws meant for wood cutting can’t use metal-cutting blades, which is a problem for some vinyl planks.
Remember to always wear protective eyewear when cutting materials with any saw!
What is the best blade to cut vinyl plank flooring?
- If using a miter saw, the blade will be a round cutting disc. Use one that has between 80 and 100 teeth to make smooth, fine cuts.
- Circular saws can produce the same type of cut as a miter saw because they use a similar cutting blade. This high tooth count blade by DeWalt makes smooth cuts and slides through vinyl quickly to keep from melting.
- Jigsaws have a vertical blade that is easier to use for curves and rounded shapes in the material. These jigsaw blades made by Bosch are good for both straight and curved cuts. They’re also very affordable.
Can you cut vinyl plank flooring with a utility knife?
Using a utility knife is the most common method of cutting vinyl plank flooring, particularly for cross-cuts. Basically, all you need to do is “score & snap.”
- You’ll need a woodworking or carpenter’s square and a heavy-duty utility knife like this available at Amazon (and it comes with extra blades), not a basic box cutter.
- Trace your cutting line onto the plank
- Place your square over the line
- Score the line deeply with the utility knife
- Bend the plank backward along the cutting line to snap it.
Tip: Buy a few extra blades so you always have a sharp blade in the knife. Scoring will be easier and you won’t have to apply a lot of pressure, too much of which could result in injury if your knife slips.
Can you use a Dremel to cut vinyl plank flooring
A Dremel is good for a variety of uses. There are many attachments and accessories available for different jobs – it’s a real multi-tasker! If you end up buying one for your floor installation you’ll be able to use it on lots of other projects.
You can use a Dremel with a multipurpose cutting bit to cut vinyl plank flooring. It’s also helpful for making curved cuts. Trace the curve pattern onto the flooring and follow the line with the Dremel using the multi-knife attachment on high.