If you see a mushroom growing in bathroom, I would be very concerned. It’s mold can grow in moisture prone areas causing fungus to grow right in your home. I know it sounds strange to even think of a mushroom growing in your bathroom, but it can and has happened.
Mushrooms grow in warm, humid, low lighting, moisture filled spaces. All these factors combined allow for mushrooms to breed well in a bathroom. When a mushroom grows in the bathroom it is indictive, you have an extensive moisture and/or possible mold infestation.
Imagine walking into your newly rented apartment or first home, and you immediately see a mushroom sprouting from the wall of your bathroom. I know sounds horrible! If you see one of these sprouting anywhere in your home, let alone the bathroom, you need to take greater measures of protecting yourself and family for a safe environment.
What does it mean if a mushroom is growing in your bathroom?
Mold and mildew are huge contributors to the possibility of a mushroom growing in your bathroom. They thrive in damp environments that are especially humid, leaving bathrooms as a great source to inhibit.
A prime example is a leak in the toilet bowl. A leaky toilet bowl can cause water damage to the floor or wall if not taken care of, eventually leading to an infestation of mushrooms from the mold that forms behind it.
Once you see the mushroom sprout out from the ground or wall, you need to take a look at what is behind it. Most likely you will see damaged wall or flooring, that needs to be replaced.
Check your space to see if there might be any water damage on the walls or floor. If so, this could be the reason for the growth.
What does mushroom mold look like?
Although all black molds do not have to be equivalent to a mushroom mold, it is a pretty strong equivalent.
Black mold also called Stachbotrys chartarum can be formed from any water damage and is highly toxic.
It can also have a pretty bad musty odor to it. The mold will look dark black and/or dark green and will be fuzzy in texture. It will be similar to large splotches on a wall that have no pattern.
Even though at first it might look as though the surface of the wall is dirty, take a better look at it. Dirt and mold can sometimes be confused.
Is mushroom mold dangerous?
Yes, mushroom mold can be very toxic to you. Especially if it is black mold. The mushroom itself might not be a threat, but the mold and fungus that allowed it to prosper is!
They are toxic to you, your children and animals that might go sniffing around the corners inspecting it. Types of symptoms you might encounter are anything from runny noses to a dry cough to wheezing.
Best cleaners to use for mushroom mold
There are a couple of cleaners out there that you can use to clean up that pesky black mold and mushrooms growth. You can make one at home or you can buy one.
- Amazon has a great fungicide remover here called RMR-86. Now keep in mind that this might only be temporary for some situations. However, to start the process immediately try this spray out. It really does help get rid of that nasty color on the walls and can help prevent the growth of mold from coming back. The reviews are great on this product.
- Another great product is from the brand Apulito – Mold & Mildew Cleaner. This is more gel like and can help remove the stains from the grout. Since mold can make some nasty stains on your grout, sometimes sealing it with is get like product can help after you clean it.
- You can always make your solution if you are worried about the cleaners you buy at the store. Taking some bleach (1 part) added to warm water (3 parts) use a spray bottle to spray the infected area. Let the area sit for a bit before scrubbing it away. Dry it once thoroughly.
- For a more organic take on it, you can also combine baking soda (1 teaspoon) and hot water (2 cups) into a spray bottle for your disinfecting.
How to remove mushrooms growing from your bathroom
If you do have fungus growing in your bathroom there are a couple of ways you can handle this.
This method is proven to be a temporary relief. To remove the mushrooms from your sight and to start the cleaning process, I would definitely do the below.
- Grab a pair of rubber gloves and let’s get them out of wherever they are sprouting.
Do not by any means touch with your bear hands as the mold and fungus are toxic.
- Using a cleaner, such as a fungicide or bleach cleaner (described above), you will need to spray the area thoroughly and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take a cleaning brush and scrub that mildew away.
- Disinfect all parts of the bathroom as best you can, because they particles easily float to other areas and can being its infestation.
If you have mushroom mold, unfortunately the problem is much bigger then it being topical. The mushroom formed from moisture and its adaptive environment. You need to fix the bigger problem all together.
- Toss any rotten wood or damp and moldy furnishings in your bathroom. If you see mold on your shower curtains – out they go!
- For a bigger look into the problem, especially if you see water damage on the wall, you will need to call a professional in. If you rent, then call your rental office right away. They will be able to look at the wall and let you know if the drywall needs to be replaced all together.
How to prevent mushrooms growing in a bathroom
If you live in a hot and humid place, or you know your bathroom is susceptible to high moisture levels, there are a few key things you will want to do to prevent mushrooms growing:
- Get ventilation. A ventilation fan is great for a bathroom, because it allows the moisture to go out. Even opening a window if you can, to let some air in after a hot shower can help.
- Check your bathroom for any leaks. Do you see any leakage from the tub or the toilet bowl? If you do then get them repaired immediately to prevent any mold that could form.
- Pick up damp towels. It’s always easy to just drop the towel on the floor and let it sit there for a while. However, that can cause a bit of mildew and eventually mold to form.
- Clean your bathroom consistently. You should always clean the bathroom, regardless of mushroom growth or not. But if you are not one of those persistent cleaners then your bathroom is susceptible to some nasty molds that can eventually form.
Upkeeping parts of your home that have high sensitivity to moisture and low lighting is integral to preventing any black mold or mushroom mold from hibernating. It can get worse without taking any preventive measures.
If you see a mushroom growth in any crevice of your home, especially your bathroom, note that it’s not normal and you need to get rid of them right away!
Ventilation, cleaning and proper repairs to water damaged areas need to be fixed right away in order for this nasty little mold to cause any more harm to you or your home.