When it comes to deciding if Bamboo flooring is best for your space, you may find yourself having to consider your furry, four-legged friends (or other pets) before making a final decision. In short:
Bamboo flooring is a great option when considering which floors would work well with your pets in mind. They are especially great because they tend to be more scratch and stain-resistant than many other flooring options.
Although there are many different pets that people have in their homes, the most relevant for this conversation, and the two that we get the most questions about, are dogs and cats.
12 Reasons Why Bamboo Flooring is Good for Pets
To provide you with the most valuable information we’ve put together the top 12 reasons Why Bamboo Flooring is Good for Pets so you will be confident about your decision.
1. Bamboo Floors are more stain and scratch-resistant when compared to other materials
Bamboo floors are known to stand out when compared to other flooring materials (both wood and non-wood types) for their resistance to scratches and stains.
Especially when we talk about higher-quality bamboo floors, these are often coated with an aluminum oxide coating which, among other reasons, is meant to protect the floors from scratches.
This is great news when it comes to dogs and/or cats, which sometimes have long nails that can come in contact with your floors more often.
In addition to its resistance to scratching, if cleaned quickly enough, you will find that bamboo floors do not easily soak in liquids (like pet urine) and therefore do not stain easily.
2. They are extremely durable
Bamboo floors are often considered to be one of the most durable materials you can use for both flooring and building purposes.
Certain characteristics are naturally occurring in bamboo that allows for this flooring type to have a higher score on the Janka rating scale than other floor types.
3. They are essentially spill-resistant
If you clean bamboo flooring quickly enough, they are spill-resistant due to the aluminum oxide coating mentioned previously.
This becomes an issue when you allow pet accidents or spills to lay untouched for a considerable amount of time. This can ultimately lead to discoloring of your bamboo floors or even swelling as the floors begin to absorb the liquid substance.
4. Easy to clean
Should you find yourself having to clean up after your pets, you’ll be glad to know that bamboo floors are extremely easy to clean. Due to its smooth surface, spilled substances can be cleaned in no time.
Not only is this a benefit for humans and their safety, but it is also great for pets and ensuring they won’t get hurt sliding on substances that can be easily and quickly cleaned up.
5. They won’t develop mold or mildew
Due to the natural antimicrobial properties of the grass, bamboo can kill off bacteria that can often lead to mold. While we’re sure we don’t have to spend too much time going over the dangers of mold as it pertains to humans, few people know that mold exposure can also lead to respiratory issues for your pets, as well as the development of other illnesses.
For both you and your pets, it may be a safer bet to go with an option that fights against this for the life of the product.
6. Some brands offer low VOC-emitting options and even options that have no formaldehyde
Our favorite option for those of you who want to ensure your bamboo floors don’t have any (or close to non-detectable) traces of toxic chemicals, or volatile organic compounds (VOCs) is Green Building Supply.
Why we like green Building Supply?
For Green Building Supply, everything is about sustainability. The company, which provides much more than just bamboo floors, puts extra emphasis on making sure that they are offering products safe for people and the environment.
From products that are non-toxic and renewable to energy-efficient, they have made a name for themselves in the space and continue to position themselves as a trend-setter and industry/market leader. In addition, they’ve been awarded a Best of Houzz award in 2020 for their client satisfaction.
While not a manufacturer of bamboo floors themselves, they’ve curated a selection that sets them apart. When it comes to their bamboo floors, here are the features that each product offers:
- Formaldehyde free
- Zero VOC
- Certified to be safe, durable, and eco-friendly
In addition, They offer an online experience that is close to unrivaled in the flooring industry and extremely easy to navigate and find what you’re looking for.
Green Building Supply is very transparent when it comes to its pricing and provides a great selection of images that help you visualize what the bamboo floors can look like in different spaces.
Based on all of these reasons, we believe that your best bet is turning to Green Building Supply when considering bamboo floors for your space when looking for the most eco-friendly option.
7. They are sometimes produced with a covering that is slip-resitant
The Slip-resistant covering especially beneficial for those with pets that are extremely active and/or very playful. You’d hate to see a situation where, when walking through your doors after a long day, your pet’s excitement leads to an accident due to a slip. Right?
NOTE: Not all bamboo floors are made with this non-slip covering, so be sure to read the notes from the manufacturer before making a final decision.
8. Certain color options can hide scratches more easily
Although bamboo floors come in a wide range of hues and colors, many options are available in lighter colors. While not ideal, if your floors do happen to get scratched, you will find that the lighter shades tend to allow for scratches to go unnoticed.
9. They can often times be refinished
You will often be able to refinish your bamboo floors if you find that they have been significantly damaged with scratches.
Depending on the quality, the number of coats of aluminum oxide that were applied by the manufacturer, and the thickness of the top layer (sometimes referred to as the wear layer), you may actually be able to refinish your bamboo floors several times.
While we generally recommend you consult with a professional before moving forward with the refinishing process, it is good to know that there are options for you should your pet cause scratches on your floors over time.
10. They are sustainable
One of our favorite attributes of bamboo floors is sustainability. Because of how quickly bamboo grows back after harvesting, it is a much more sustainable option when compared to many other hardwood flooring options.
11. They can be more cost-effective than hardwood floors
While also not directly impacting your pet’s wellness, it is an added benefit to have all of the reasons above when choosing bamboo floors and paying less for these attributes.
While this can often vary, in general, bamboo floors can be a much less expensive item when compared to other flooring types (including many hardwood floors).
12. You don’t have to sacrifice look or style for utility
One of the things that most consumers find most appealing about bamboo floors is the surprisingly expansive offering of hues, colors, and styles that you can find.
KEEP IN MIND: Because of the different manufacturing methods and classes of bamboo floors, there are hundreds of options to choose from. Find our more here: Many Colors & Patterns of Bamboo Flooring
A couple of potential drawbacks
It is important to know the potential drawbacks of this flooring type when it comes to your pets as well.
- it is important that you understand how different quality floors can impact the benefits of bamboo floors. If you own a dog or cat, you may want to buy more durable and stain resistant version.
- Our reaction time is very important. If we allow accidents created by your pets to sit for long periods of time, we can be dealing with much more than just the bad smell.
- When it comes to looking for the best options for a space with pets, try to stay away from carbonized bamboo floors. During the manufacturing process, these floors are exposed to extremely high heat levels that can actually work against the durability of bamboo floors.
- Many companies will offer the opportunity to order samples so you can test out the material first. Many of the big box home improvement stores even offer a wide selection of samples that are grab-and-go. You will have the opportunity to test the floors against the substances and materials that can come in contact with in your home.
- We recommend (if this is not the case already) that you designate a dedicated area inside of your space that is where your pet(s) will eat and drink. Assuming you set this dedicated area, you should place a mat or rug that can catch and/or absorb any substances or foods that could potentially spill on your floors. This will help prevent damage as this will ensure that substances are not left sitting on the flooring surface for long periods of time.
- For the best results, and for the highest likelihood of realizing the many benefits, you should strongly consider strand-woven bamboo floors. The manufacturing process for this involves breaking down the bamboo material and re-combining under high heat. Because of this, you will find that this type of bamboo flooring tend to be much stronger and more scratch-resistant than other types of bamboo flooring.
- Be proactive and check the packaging or the manufacturer’s website for additional information before purchase. You will often be able to see information like what the warranty entails, what chemicals have been used during production, and what additional coating was used during production. This information should help to ensure that you are truly buying the best option given your unique needs with pets in your home.
- Simply asking a flooring contractor may lead to more enlightenment when it comes to which bamboo floors are the best for you when you have pets in your home. Those contractors with more experience may be able to provide guidance and feedback that can help with your decision, as they may have been exposed to installations in homes that had pets. Even if the contractor is not the person who ultimately installs your floors, it’s easy enough to ask for advice.