Household cleaning products such as shark steam mops have evolved immensely over time, but many people still stick with traditional cleaning methods. The mop and bucket have been around for decades, but that is still the go-to for many when cleaning their households.
With new technology though, comes new obstacles as well. Even if Shark Steam Mop is well known for killing 99.9% of bacteria, it cannot be used on every kind of floor.
Can you use the Shark Steam Mop on your wood floors?
You can use shark Steam mop on Wood floors but only if they are sealed! If your floors are not, water from the steamer will be absorbed by the wood and damage your flooring from the inside out. Beside sealed hardwood, Shark steam mop can be used on Bamboo, Marble and Vinyl plank floors as well.
Let’s learn more about this amazing product, how to use it and where is completely safe to clean with.
What is a Shark Steam Mop?
The Shark Steam Mop is revolutionary for household and business cleaning. It is advertised by being able to sanitize floors, work to clean everyday spills, and killing 99.9% of bacteria on surfaces with help steam heating at more than 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Usage is straightforward because all you have to do, is fill the tank with water and it turns it into steam instantly, cleaning and killing all bacteria. Your floors will end up cleaner than with a traditional mop because it doesn’t just move dirty water all around the floor, it uses clean steam to clean the surface.
You should sweep or vacuum the area before you steam mop it, getting rid of all dust and debris so the steam mop can clean the floor without anything in its way!
Pros of a Shark Steam Mop cleaner
Though shark steam mop is not perfect for every house, there are many pros to this innovative cleaning product.
- It has three intelligent steam settings that are meant for different surfaces. First setting is Dust, which is is ideal for laminate, bamboo, sealed hardwood and marble. The second is Mop, it is meant for basic, everyday cleaning, it removes spots and smaller messes and also sanitizes floors. It is mean for sealed hardwood, marble, tile, and stone surfaces. The third setting is Scrub, meant for tough cleaning, removal of stains, and sanitizing floors. If you use the Carpet Glider, this setting is great for cleaning carpet as well.
- It sanitizes way more than any standard mop does, and it does so without using harmful and toxic chemicals. It only uses water, which is healthier for not only those in your household, but also for the environment.
- You don’t need any chemicals to completely clean and sanitize your home.
- It takes much less time to clean your home than it would with a traditional mop and a bucket.
Cons of a Shark Steam Mop
Though many people swear by the Shark Steam Mop, it is not for everyone or every home.
- The machine runs very, very hot. It can be dangerous if you don’t know how to use it correctly so be sure to look up the instructions.
- Even if it is not that expensive, it still costs more than your average mop and bucket combo.
- You cannot use it on unsealed wooden floors.
Best 2 shark steam mops I Love and Recommend
What is my Shark Steam Mop Leaving Streaks?
When using the Steam Mop, it is important to use it in the correct way. Some users review the product poorly because it leaves streaks on their floors.
There can be two reasons:
- You might be leaving the mop in the same position for too long. You should make quick strides with the mop so that the steam can distribute evenly across the floor.
- It may be that the water coming from your tap is hard water, containing a lot of minerals. To fix this, run the water through a filtration system before putting it into the Steam Mop.
How Do I Know if My Wood Floors are Sealed?
A super easy way to tell if your wood floor is sealed is to find an inconspicuous area, maybe in a corner of your room, and drop a small bit of water on the surface.
Watch the water to see if it gets absorbed by the wood or beads up on the surface. If the water beads up on the surface of the wood, then your floor is sealed. If it gets absorbed, then unfortunately, your wood floor is not sealed.
If the water you drop on the one area gets absorbed, then you should absolutely not use the shark steam mop. All the steamed moisture that is produced will sink into the wood and damage it from the inside.
It is so important that you Avoid using any steam mops on unsealed wood floors. It is also not advised that you use it on adhesive tiles with lifted corners – there is a risk here that the moisture could seep between the tile and the adhesive and slowly lift the tiles. Don’t miss shark steam mop on Laminate floors as well. Water and laminate are each other’s enemies.
White vinegar is a great cleaning product and you may want to add that to your steamer, but you need to decide if that is right for your kind of flooring.
It is a great idea if you are using a Shark Steam Mop to clean tile, linoleum or vinyl floors. On contrary, you should never use it on hardwood flooring. It can break down the chemical finish on hardwood and ruin you wooden flooring.