So wanting your floors to look as beautiful for as long as possible is natural. Some methods and options can help you make your laminate floor shine as if it was a hardwood floor.
This guide will show you the various ways you can bring life to your flooring to last for years to come.
How do you make laminated floors shine?
Here’s how to get started:
Step 1: Clean Your Floors
Sweep the floor and remove all sand and grit that could damage the finish. You can use a vacuum with an upholstery brush or one of those broom/vacuum combos. Just be careful not to scratch your laminated flooring as you clean it.
Step 2: Use Damp Microfiber cloth if needed
If any spots have been left behind, try cleaning them with a damp microfiber cloth so you don’t leave watermarks on the surface as you work.
Step 3: Prepare Your Cleaning Solution
Plan a) Assemble a homemade cleaning solution. More detailed instructions later on.
Plan b) Pick a cleaning solution that is compatible with your laminate floors and doesn’t leave any streaks of residue. One of the best cleaning products for this type of floor is Black Diamond.
This cleaning product is straightforward in that you can spray on the mop or floor directly and use it to clean up without diluting the solution. This makes it a simple to use and easy product for everyday use.
Step 4: Buff Your Floors
Using a clean cotton cloth, buff the floor with the mixture by starting at the furthest corner from your nearest door or window.
Don’t let any of it dry on your floors! Keep buffing until all the liquid is gone and you’re left with a nice thin coat of shine. If any spots need extra attention, use another microfiber cloth and more mixture to remove them and bring back that luster.
Once you’ve finished cleaning and shining your floors, every time you walk over them they will shine like new again!
Different Homemade cleaning solutions to Make Your Laminated floors Shine
If you are trying to avoid any harsh chemicals or products bought that aren’t as adequate for your needs, there are other homemade cleaning solutions such as vinegar, baking soda and even a Castille soap.
Each of them is an effective method of cleaning that would work well with your laminated floor. Which can help your laminated deck keep its beauty as maintaining it is your first line of defense. Though make sure you sweep before using any of these methods for best results.
How do you make vinegar cleaner for Laminate Floors?
This is one of the common yet effective homemade cleaners, with the bonus of not leaving streaks on your laminate floors. It can also help bring out the shine if appropriately used.
Things you need:
- 1/2 cup of White Vinegar with a 5% acetic.
- 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 cup of water
- A spray bottle.
- A microfiber mop
How do you use homemade vinegar cleaner?
Vinegar is a very easy-to-use cleaner though you can’t use it without diluting it. With the ingredients above, pour it into the spray bottle when ready to use.
Treatment with Vinegar is appropriate for floors that have become quite dirty and require a little disinfection, such as if a spill has occurred. It is one of the most successful general maintenance methods; but, if something is caked on, you may need to try another method.
Once you have your solution, here are the steps to follow.
- Start off with a small portion of the floor to spray your cleaning solution. Make sure it’s away from the door so you can avoid stepping on it.
- Apply a light and even layer with the spray bottle. Make sure not to put too much excess as you don’t want to soak the floor.
- Grab your microfiber mop, and make sure to go over every part of the laminated floor to spread the solution. Going both with and against the grain gently with the microfiber mop will help give it some shine.
- Keep progressing through the room in sections till you get to an area where you can leave and avoid stepping on it.
- Finally, give it thirty minutes to air-dry, and once it is done, you can buff it with a microfiber mop for polish.
How do you make baking soda cleaner?
Baking soda is an effective cleaner that contains alkaline powder and a mild scouring agent that effectively breaks up dirt and grime. It is also safe to use on laminated floors, making it useful for caked-on filth.
Things you need:
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of dishwashing detergent
- 1 2/3 cups baking soda
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 sponges
How do you use baking soda cleaner?
This one is slightly different as you will be using a sponge instead of a microfiber mop to clean the floor. You will need to mix the ingredients on the spot for the actual benefits of the mixture.
This is the most effective way to get rid of the toughest messes on the laminate surface. However, when the vinegar and baking powder are fizzing in a chemical reaction, it is most effective. It’s virtually saltwater after it’s done, but the detergent is still good. As a result, rather than a full room, this is better for small areas and quick jobs.
- Make sure the detergent, water, and vinegar have been adequately mixed together. As well as a bucket of water, then move to the area farthest from the door. So you don’t trap yourself in the room.
- Like the vinegar, start off with small portions of the room and dunk your sponge into the solution. Add baking soda onto the floor with the sponge to take advantage of the chemical reactions.
- Make sure to not squeeze out all of it just enough so it isn’t dripping everywhere, and begin doing gentle circles around the area.
- Once cleaned, now use your other sponge to dunk it into the water and wringing it out. Then use the clean, damp sponge to clean up the cleaning residue.
- Keep repeating the process until you have cleaned the desired area and then air dry for thirty minutes.
- If there is any residue left from the baking soda, sweep or vacuum it up.
Suppose there is simply a tiny but dirty area that’s really hard to fix instead of a slightly big area that needs cleaning.
- In that case, you can add vinegar directly then the baking soda. Allow it time to dry and harden, then remove with vacuum or broom.
- Then make sure to polish the area to return its shine.
Note: The solution is entirely safe, and there are no fumes from vinegar and baking soda mixing. So you can rest assured you're safe from toxic fumes, but if worried, keep the area well ventilated.
How do you make a homemade soap cleaner?
Soap is a common ingredient in cleaners, so you can use soaps at home to clean laminated floors. You can buy Castile soap to make your own cleaner; my recommendation is La Almona.
This brand is pure soap with no extra chemicals yet is still very effective. Making this one of the easiest to use of the three effective cleaners.
Things you need:
- Castile Soap
- spray bottle
- microfiber mop
How do you use Castile soap?
It’s simply soap and water that you can use to mop the floor with. You can also use it on the spot if there is no big mess or spill, but it has been a while since you’ve cleaned.
Something to keep the floor clean of everyday messes from just walking around. Making it a staple in a household with laminated floors.
- Pour warm water into the spray bottle and at most a tablespoon of soap. Make sure it is mixed well together in the bottle, and if you like, you can add two drops of essential oils of choice for scent.
- Once mixed evenly, spray the area farthest from the door and then use the microfiber mop to clean the area going with the grain.
- Keep progressing with the mop doing small sections of the floor one at a time. Until you have completed the whole room.
- Then once done, let the room air dry for thirty minutes.
Can you polish laminated flooring?
Yes, though not with an actual buffer but with a microfiber mop. Once you’ve cleaned all the floor of dust, dirt, and debris that have been settled on your floor now, you can polish it.
Polishing’ your flooring is one of the best methods to help to bring out its wood-like beauty and shine. You will need to make sure you have the right tool for it, and Bona is a good product for polishing.
As not only is it practical, but it has no toxic chemicals at all and isn’t harsh to the environment. They also sell microfiber mops to clean at home that is affordable. A microfiber mop is required to be able to buff your floor effectively and keep it clean.
- First, lightly dampen the microfiber before use, wring it out as you don’t want it soaked.
- Ensure it is secure on your mop and won’t fall off before to prevent any future slips.
- Then carefully pour or spray the polish solution on the floor, making sure it’s even. Focus on small areas at a time for the most effective results.
- Finally, gently brush the mop over the area first against the grain, then with it making sure it’s coated and has a nice wet layer.
- Keeps doing this until your whole floor is covered, then leave it to air dry for thirty minutes. Avoid stepping on it during this time.
NOTE: Don't let it dry too quickly nor put it too thin of a solution as it will cause the floor to haze.
Should I clean and mop every day?
There is no need for excess cleaning all you need to do is sweep or vacuum the dirt away every day. Moping should be done at most once a week as over-cleaning can end up having the opposite effect by wearing it down. Make sure to clean but don’t overdo it, as even with the gentlest of cleaners, it can do more harm than good.
Can I wax my laminated floor?
You should never wax them as they are already made to shine and have a waxed-like look. Trying to wax the laminated floor will only make it duller by removing that sheen it already has.
- How to Clean High Gloss Laminate Floors
- Cleaning old hardwood floors without refinishing
- How to Clean Vinyl Floors & What to Avoid?
- How to Clean Grout off Natural Stone Tile?
- Bamboo Floors cleaning tips
- How to Clean your Laminate floors?
- Best Robot Vacuums for Laminate Floors
- Can you polish Laminate Flooring