Vinyl is becoming an increasingly common flooring option in our homes. As it grows in popularity, critical problems arise, one of which is whether rugs can be placed on vinyl floors without causing damage.
Anyone who has replaced their floors knows how difficult it is. After spending so much time selecting the right floor, laying it down, and learning how to care for it, you’d be hesitant about what furniture or rugs you put on top of your new floor.
You can use a rug on top of your vinyl plank flooring, but make sure that it is made of vinyl-compatible materials. Rubber rug pads, on the contrary, are not recommended because they can damage the surface of your vinyl floor over time.
Vinyl plank floors are a great option for those who want the look of wood without the hassle and expense. But one thing to keep in mind is that you can’t just put any old rug on top of them. You need to make sure you choose one that won’t harm the floor.
In this article, we’ll discuss which type of rug pads are best for vinyl planks and which ones should be avoided. After finishing, you’ll have a better understanding of all things rug-pads-on-vinyl-floors!
What is vinyl plank flooring?
Vinyl plank flooring is a type of flooring that is designed to resemble hardwood floors. It is usually made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and comes in a variety of colors and wood grain patterns such as oak, hickory, cherry, and so on.
Because vinyl flooring is extremely flexible and versatile, it is a fantastic alternative to hardwood and tile flooring. Furthermore, it is softer on the feet, warmer, and better at absorbing sound than hard surfaces.
It is waterproof, easy to clean, and damage-resistant, hence making it a low-maintenance option. In addition, it is a relatively cheaper alternative to hardwood flooring.
Despite the above-mentioned benefits, it also comes with some drawbacks. Although it is durable that does mean it is invincible to scratches, dents, and tears. Sharp objects such as furniture legs and pet nails can easily hurt the surface.
Because of this reason, it is essential that you take extra care of your vinyl plank flooring either by using padding with furniture or rugs. But unfortunately again, not all paddings are suitable for your flooring.
Can You Put Rugs on Vinyl and What Rug Padding Should You Avoid Using?
Rugs on vinyl are always a nice addition to a monotone floor design, adding much-needed texture.
It is important to keep in mind that rubber padding should never be used on vinyl plank flooring. This is because rubber padding has a tendency to break down over time, leaving behind a sticky residue that is difficult to remove. In fact, this sticky residue can actually damage or discolor the vinyl surface.
In addition, the chemicals in rubber padding and those in the vinyl flooring when exposed to sunlight or heat can cause certain reactions that lead to the deterioration of both materials.
Additionally, many low-cost rug pad substitutes are made of PVC, a cheap plastic. Because they are created using glues and other adhesives that might stick to the flooring and damage the air quality in your home, these rug pads are prone to problems.
What Rug Pads Work Best on Vinyl Floors?
Before you buy a rug pad, make sure you know what materials it is made of. You should select the one that is suitable for vinyl floors.
This felt rug pad from Mohawk is a terrific solution, probably the finest alternative. The best part is that it does not contain any rubber, making it suitable for use on vinyl flooring.
It is constructed of 100% recycled green branded felt that keeps rugs in place without hurting the floors beneath them. By cutting it with scissors, you would be able to simply adjust it to any size or shape.
This type of rug pad will not only prevent your floors from discoloration but will also protect them at all times, especially in high-traffic areas.
Other Rug Backings Available in the Market
Some other good rug backing/padding products for use on vinyl floors are:
- Jute rug pads: Jute is a natural fibre that does not stick to the floor and is safe to use on any type of surface. It is also eco-friendly as it is biodegradable. The only drawback of using is that it is not as effective in holding rugs in place as other materials.
- Foam rug pads: Foam is a versatile material that can be used on any type of flooring. It is lightweight and easy to cut, making it a good choice for custom-sized rugs. In addition, they are very effective in holding rugs in place and providing cushioning.
- Colorfast rug pads: These types of rug pads are made of materials that will not bleed or transfer their color to the floor, no matter how much moisture or heat is present. This is an important consideration if you are using light-colored rugs on dark-colored vinyl floors.
What Kind of Rugs Are Safe for Vinyl Plank Flooring?
When it comes to choosing the right rug for your vinyl plank flooring, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- Weight – Heavy rugs can be difficult to move and can also damage the flooring beneath them. If you do choose a heavy rug, make sure it has a non-slip backing to prevent it from sliding around.
- Material – Rugs made of natural fibres such as wool or cotton are the best choice for vinyl plank flooring. They are usually soft and will not damage the surface of the flooring. In addition, they are also less likely to cause static build-up, which can cause damage.
- ColorFast – As mentioned earlier, a rug should not be able to shed or transfer color to flooring, no matter how much heat or moisture is present. They are available in a variety of materials, so you should be able to find one that is perfect for your vinyl plank flooring.
Alternatively, you can also use handwoven or vintage rugs on vinyl floors. They are made of natural fibres such as wool or cotton and are very durable. Plus, they’re colorfast.
Are Polypropylene Rugs Safe for Vinyl Floors?
Yes, polypropylene rugs are safe for vinyl floors as they don’t contain any rubber backing that can damage the floor. In addition, polypropylene is a synthetic fibre that is resistant to staining and fading, making it a good choice for high-traffic areas.
Do You Need a Rug Pad on Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Generally, on vinyl plank flooring, a rug pad is not necessary, but it is advised to protect the floor from scratches and scuffs. In addition, a rug pad will help to keep the rug in place and prevent it from bunching up or sliding around.
How to Keep Rugs From Slipping on Vinyl Floors?
There are a few things you can do to keep rugs from slipping on vinyl floors. First, make sure the rug is the correct size for the space. Secondly, select a rug pad that is made specifically for vinyl flooring. Finally, vacuum the floor regularly to remove any dirt or debris that could cause the rug to slip.
Will Rugs Scratch Vinyl Floors?
If rugs aren’t the right size or aren’t tied properly, they might harm your vinyl floors. In addition, certain material types of them can also cause scratching. To avoid this, use a rug pad that is exclusively meant to be used on vinyl flooring.
Will Rubber Backed Rugs Discolor Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Yes, rubber-backed rugs can discolor vinyl plank flooring over time. This is because the rubber interacts with the flooring material and causes it to break down and change color.
Other related blog topics you might find Interesting: