Anyone interested in interior design knows that the words harmony and unity are going to come up sooner or later. Though harmony and unity sound similar, each plays a distinctive role in the way you experience a space.
What Is Harmony And Unity In Interior Design? Unity refers to elements repeating in design whether they are materials, shapes or colors. Overall, they look like they all fit together. Harmony, on the other hand, is the sense that all your design elements fit together perfectly. Best designers compared to average have a great sense. Doing this right will elevate your spaces to the next level, bringing your home closer to becoming a real home.
Lets dive deeper and see how we can achieve them with some tips and tricks.
Different Methods to achieve Harmony And Unity
7 principles of interior design ar key to perfect design outcome and Harmony together with unity are an essential part of achieving it. When every element agrees, a room is considered unified. Not one part is seen as more important than the entire design. A good balance between variety and unity also needs to be established to avoid a lifeless or chaotic design.
There exist different methods to achieve Harmony And Unity such as:
- Theme – altering basic theme helps to keep interest alive and achieving overall unity.
- Rhythm – it happens when recurring color, size, position and graphic elements with the use of focal interruption point
- Repetition – element is mimicked (copied) many times over a particular space.
- Continuation – is the sense of having a pattern or a line extended.
- Similarity – is the ability to seem that other elements are repeated.
- Perspective – is a sense of elements being distant from each other.
Is Harmony the same as Unity?
You may make mistakes unity and harmony to be the same thing. However, they are different from each other and make a difference in the way you feel in a space. As we mentioned above Harmony is the sense that your overall design fits together perfectly.
These may fit the same mood, aesthetic style, and theme. The important thing to remember is that every piece belongs together somehow, even if it is unlike everything else.
Unity Is When Everything Fits Together
Unity refers to elements repeating in design whether they are materials, shapes or colors. Overall, they look like they all fit together in some way. Each principle is utilized to create a cohesive sense in the space.
Don’t think of just each room but how to incorporate everything in your entire home. Stick to one unified home aesthetic rather than having distinctive themed rooms. This is one technique used by interior design professionals to bring their spaces another level up.
Harmony Expresses A Theme
Harmony is a description of design repetition in a space. The forms, shapes, textures, and colors that express the theme of the mood, style, and theme of your interior. When combined, these design elements work together for creating a feeling of being harmonious. Space feels as if everything is just where it supposed to be. Not every designer knows how to incorporate the right amount of harmony in final outcome.
How Harmony and Unity can work together
Unity brings oneness to space. It brings cohesion within a room. Through keeping a consistent furniture style or adhering to a color scheme, unity is produced. When you select accessories and fabrics that have similar textures and colors, you will hopefully create a feeling of harmony in your design.
All 7 design Elements and 7 design principles need to work together creating harmonious interiors.
To achieve harmony, combine related, similar elements and repeat elements within a space. You might argue that the variety being the spice of life. Well, that is not completely untrue. Variety brings excitement, surprise, and visual interest.
The best strategy to add variety is to create harmony in a space. Group sameness and similar accessories together. This introduces a pop of interest. Particularly when you use space, line, form, shape, texture, and color to harmonize a room. For example, accents of color contrasts or pops of contrasting textures create an irresistible room.
In interior design, unity is an overall feeling that a room is put together perfectly. Unity creates oneness. With Unity, the goal is to create cohesion within individual rooms in every part of your house.
When space has unity, it is satisfying visually. Many times, an existing style that exists such as mid-century modern, rustic or industrial is a reflection of space unification. When Everything in one space looks like it belongs to all the other items in the room, this is unity.
If in addition, Harmony is present, the eyes will get settled. The brain feels that everything makes sense. In the meantime, implementing variety keeps the spaces from looking boring and dull. We produce Interest with variety.
A Balanced Whole
Unity is when elements in spaces are combined to make a complete, harmonious and balanced whole. When everything works together, everything feels right. It feels pleasant and everything seems to be just right. You can see why harmony and unity go hand in hand. Designers use these words to describe the way space feels.
These terms are also used when talking about your project with the proposed furniture, fixtures, and finishes. Unity and harmony provide a sense of calm or play roles in limiting a workplace’s chaos. It also adds to a room’s level of comfort. This is true when the balance is also effectively realized and considered.
Tips To Achieve Unity And Harmony
I will give you some tips to quicker and easier achieve Unity and Harmony in your house:
- Use elements that repeat around a room or around a surface to keep the lines of energy moving in space.
- Each element in your room has a visual element such as pattern, color, shape, and size. Create an overall space balance using these elements.
- Symmetrical arrangements are related to harmony and elegance. Thus, when you aim to follow the rule-book for symmetry, you create a formal atmosphere. You can create a less formal room when you group similar objects on one side of the space and keep the other one less match.
- When you are using furniture to create a composition, use a rectangle where the ratio of the short to the long side is 1 is to 1.618. This is what designers call the golden ratio.
- To guide the eyes away from less attractive features, focal points are necessary. These point toward more important room elements. Make sure you position everything on a square rather than a diagonal axis.
- In your living space, avoid unnecessary clutter. When you clear clutter, this makes spaces seem bigger. The reason is that your eyes have less to focus on. It also makes it easier to find stuff in spaces with less competition for your attention when you show off your priceless pieces such as sculpture and art.
Do Interior Designers And Artists Both Use Harmony? How?
Artists use color in the same way designers use harmony. You create harmonized spaces using color. This helps build relationships between palette colors. When there is harmony in color, there is an established relationship that allows every color to work together.
Think of your home as a whole, the sum of every one of the parts. When you break it down, your room is just linked together by stairways and hallways. To create a unity sense, everything needs to start working together. Use a common:
Great Examples of exterior Harmony, calmness, and Balance are Japanese rock gardens. get inspired and add minimalistic thinking in your interior as well.
How Do You Incorporate Harmony And Unity In Your Overall Design?
In your overall design, you need to incorporate unity and harmony. To do this, find a way to connect every object. Find a common theme. Is there something that brings a room together? You might even want to broaden your scope and try and unify an entire home.
What Is Variety And How Does It Relate to Unity And Harmony?
Even if sameness is necessary, variety is also essential. This keeps the eyes from moving around and rests on a space that has a factor of “sameness.” When you contrast hard and soft materials, combining old and new architecture or furniture. You can implement variety in your spaces. On the other hand, you want to ensure that there is a contrast within your theme. At times, excessive amounts of variety can result in a space looking cluttered and confusing. To unify a collection of spaces, use color schemes. Use a color along with various textures, sizes, shapes and shades to create harmony.