The cWhen a room gets a lot of traffic, means that it also collects dirt and grime easily so ceiling stains do appear and are often a problem to handle.
While the actual ceiling of a room is easy to clean, these stains can be tricky. Their appearance may vary from place to place but there are ways to remove them effectively.
Different type of ceiling stains
In this pots, we are going to cover 7 main type of stains in detail and how to remove them. These are:
- Water stains
- Mold stains
- Smoke Stains
- Bug Stains
- Grease Stains
- Paint Stains
- Crayon and Pencil marks
If you see Brownish or yellow stains on your ceiling, they are most likely water stains.
How to identify water stains?
They usually appear on the upper part of your ceiling which is directly exposed to moisture. They are often round in shape with a dark ring around them.
How to remove water stains?
- For new stains which have just started appearing, you could simply use a mild solution of vinegar and warm water.
- If you still see a faint stain, try rubbing it with a paste made from baking soda and vinegar. This should help to remove the stain completely.
- If they are too serious, you could cover them with plaster, paint or wallpaper. But this is only a temporary solution and water stains may come back after sometime.
How to prevent water stains?
Prevention is always better than cure so you should do your best to reduce the chances of water stains in the first place.
- Always check plumbing and roofing regularly to make sure there are no issues.
- Examine your ceiling fan once a month and clean it regularly.
- Paint your ceilings with white or pastel colors to reflect light and keep your room bright and airy.
These stains are usually dark in color. They can be round or square-shaped.
How to identify mold stains?
They appear on the ceiling after water spills over an item that is left for longer periods of time on your floor. Like garages, sheds and basements which are not used often tend to get moldy easily.
How to remove mold stains?
There are several effective ways when remove mold from Your ceiling.
You could use a solution of water and bleach to clean mold from your walls.
- Wear gloves and a mask before starting this process as bleach can be harmful to the skin and eyes.
- Remove any items from the floor.
- Mix equal parts of water and bleach in a bucket or spray bottle depending on how large your area is.
- Spray the bleach solution over the moldy area.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Wipe off with a cloth or sponge and dry completely.
2. Use cleaning products like RMR-86 Mold Remover
RMR-86 Mold Remover is amazing and really effective. You can use in on different surfaces, even drywall.
The process is very simple – Just Spray it directly over the moldy area and watch it disappear instantly.
3. Vinegar and baking soda
You can also use the baking soda and vinegar method to clean mold off your ceiling.
- Mix equal amounts of baking soda and vinegar in a bowl
- Pour this solution over the moldy area and leave it for 20 minutes
- Wipe off after with a cloth or sponge.
How to prevent mold stains?
Mold is harmful so preventive measures are necessary.
- Seal basement walls and make sure ventilation is not blocked.
- Keep humidity levels low in all areas of your house.
- Use a dehumidifier if necessary to rid excess moisture in the air.
Smoke stains usually appear on ceilings and walls due to obvious reasons – indoor smoking.
How to identify smoke stains?
They tend to be grey or brown in color and look slightly raised from the surface. For visible ones, you’ll see a brown discoloration on the surface.
How to remove smoke stains?
- Before actual cleaning Remove as much of the debris as possible using a broom and dustpan or vacuum cleaner.
- Mix water and dishwashing liquid in a bucket and clean off your ceiling with it.
- Rinse off after with clean water to remove any residues which may cause further discoloration.
How to prevent smoke stains?
- If you must light up, do it outside or in a well-ventilated area.
- You could also invest in an air purifier for your home if the smell is too much to bear.
You may see tiny black or brown spots on the surface of the ceiling which are caused by bugs.
How to identify bug stains?
The common ones are the size of a pinhead and flat in shape. They look like an irregular stain but you can see their actual shape with a magnifying glass.
How to remove bug stains?
- Make sure they’re not mold stains so you know there’s no need to spend money on them.
- You can get rid of them easily with a cloth or sponge and then wash your ceiling off with water and soap and dry it completely.
How to prevent bug stains?
The best would be to Place windows screen protectors which will make sure most of the bugs stay outside.
Grease stains can appear anywhere. They’re usually large and darker in color than regular ones.
How to identify grease stains?
You’ll notice that they’re dark brown or black, scattered and irregularly shaped Smear across the ceiling surface.
How to remove grease stains?
Process is relatively easy .
- spray a little amount of WD-40 over the greasy area, let it sit for 5 minutes
- Wipe off with a cloth or sponge
- Repeat until you remove all the grease.
Another method you can use is a dishwashing liquid and warm water
- Mix half cup of dish-washing liquid in a gallon of warm water.
- Clean the grease stains using a cloth or sponge dipped in this solution.
How to prevent grease stains?
You should know that these tend to happen mostly in kitchen areas where cooking oil splatter occurs.
- Try to be mindful and more careful when cooking and cleaning your stove top.
- Grease can drip in onto your ceiling from frying pans when stir frying in high heat. Try to use low heat and cover up the pans when possible.
- If you don’t have time to cook, use the oven instead whenever possible.
Paint stains are usually circular in shape and appear to be raised from the surface.
How to identify paint stains?
They have a uniform appearance, with clearly visible edges. Their color may vary depending on the type of paint used.
How to remove paint stains from wood ceiling and other surfaces?
To remove paint stains, You can use either one or a combination of the methods listed below.
- Dilute some dishwashing liquid or laundry detergent with warm water and wipe off the spot after.
- Or mix lemon juice with baking soda to create a paste-like substance and use it to scrub off paint from ceilings. Wash off after with plain water.
How to prevent paint stains?
There’s no way to avoid these kinds of stains. They usually happen when decorating your home.
If you can, hire professionals for such jobs as it will not only save you from the hassle but will also give quality results.
Crayon & Pencil Marks
Who hasn’t used a pencil or chalk on the ceiling during their childhood days? If you have, then you probably left these two types of stains behind which are not only annoying but very hard to remove without damaging your ceilings.
However, there is a way to successfully remove them.
How to remove crayon and pencil marks?
To Remove crayons and pencil marks is best to use an eraser. it should be straightforward process. Just rub the eraser over them until stains are completely gone.
As an alternative, You can try to use a bit of ammonia and vinegar in equal parts when you don’t have any erasers at home.
NOTE: Don't use water because you risk having an even bigger mess on your hands!
- Can You Use Drywall Anchors in a Ceiling?
- Removing Dog and Cat Urine from Hardwood Floors
- How to Remove Black Mold?
- How To Remove White and Dark Stains From Hardwood Floors?
- Can you install wood ceiling in bathroom?
- Benefits and drawbacks of Tray ceilings
- Does having a high ceiling cost more to heat?
- Removing Popcorn ceiling
- Why Does Popcorn Ceiling crack?